Dr. Michael Cooper's love for golf runs deep, inspired during his youth by the support and encouragement of both his father and the small but passionate Chicago African American golf community. Dr. Cooper shares with us how as the Chairman of The Golf 20/20 Diversity Task Force, he aims to create and support meaningful and inclusive change in the $85 billion/yr golf industry.
On this episode of The ModGolf Podcast, Dr. Cooper speaks with host Colin Weston about:
• How Golf 20/20 and The World Golf Foundation is working to build diversity and inclusion in the golf. Watch Dr. Cooper's Golf Channel interview to learn more: http://www.golfchannel.com/video/golf-2020-task-force-aims-diversity-throughout-golf-industry/
• His involvement as a Board Member with The National Black Golf Hall of Fame. Learn more about the NBGHF at http://www.nationalblackgolfhalloffame.com/
• Celebrating Black History Month by honoring the contributions of Charlie Sifford, Renee Powell, Calvin Peete and Lee Elder. This African American Golfer’s Digest article covers all four of them nicely: http://www.africanamericangolfersdigest.com/honoring-golfs-legends-during-black-history-month/ and Golf Digest wrote a strong piece on Charlie Sifford and his courageous golf journey: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/charlie-sifford-mcdaniel
• The power of partnering with existing African American Golf Community Builders to fast track the diversity mandate. The African American Golfer’s Digest http://www.africanamericangolfersdigest.com/ is a helping bring all these groups and initiatives together.
• Dr. Cooper's work as Tournament Director of The Advocates Pro Tour, which provides the platform for young African American men to play professional golf on a mini tour and connect with the inner city communities where they play. Learn more about the Advocates Pro Tour at: http://www.protour.advocatesgolf.org/