Golfboard is a combination of electronic snowboard and golf cart that allows you to traverse the course by maneuvering it while standing on the deck with your clubs right in front of you.
Disruptively innovating the golf industry, GolfBoard is forever changing the way golfers experience the game. Powered by an environmentally friendly lithium-ion battery, the GolfBoard is an easy-to-ride fully electric vehicle that adds a whole new level of fun and excitement. Golfers of all ages can now "Surf the Earth" from shot-to-shot in a way that feels like snowboarding or surfing.
GolfBoarding changes the golfing experience, without changing the spirit and traditions of the game. With over 200 courses now offering GolfBoard rentals, and hundreds of thousands of GolfBoarding rounds played, the GolfBoard has a proven ability to attract new players and energize the sport.
This YouTube video demonstrates how fun, exhilarating and easy it is to ride a GolfBoard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9VuKK5sbQo
In this episode we discuss how since their 2013 Kickstarter campaign, GolfBoard has gone from scrappy startup to a growing company that has found their Product Market Fit. Topics include:
• The entrepreneurial inspiration and history behind GolfBoard. http://www.golfboard.com/
• Learning the technical features of GolfBoard from company President Jeff Dowell. http://www.golfboard.com/#product-details
• The importance of asking for and listening to customer feedback, allowing GolfBoard to quickly iterate, innovate and constantly improve their product.
• Learning that competition is a good thing and something GolfBoard welcomes as new players in the industry space they created serve to push them harder and innovate to add even more value for their customers.
• The critical importance of partnerships such as Billy Casper Golf https://www.billycaspergolf.com/ and Troon http://www.troon.com/index.php to help drive growth and increase the size of their Total Accessible Market.
• Jeff references Geoffery Moore's business best seller "Crossing The Chasm" to describe the challenge GolfBoard faces as they need to make the leap that brings their cutting-edge products to progressively larger markets. Here's a link to the book summary if you're curious to learn what a Technology Adoption Life Cycle is: https://ewthoff.home.xs4all.nl/Weppage%20documents/Summary%20Crossing%20the%20Chasm.pdf
• How GolfBoard follows the Blue Ocean Strategy business model that "creates uncontested market space and makes the competition irrelevant". https://www.blueoceanstrategy.com/
• How GolfBoard integrates Lean Startup Methodologies https://leanstartup.co/ to create a Build/Test/Measure/Learn/Iterate feedback loop that allows them to quickly innovate, experiment (and sometimes fail).
GolfBoard 2013 Kickstarter campaign https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/765640644/surf-the-earth-with-the-golfboard